Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tryst in Time

I was interested in reading The Stars My Destination, but I didn't get around to it...I just didn't really feel like reading this week either. I did manage to read the short story Tryst in Time, however.

I admit I was not very enthralled with it at all. But in general I tend to find many sci-fi stories a bit boring, especially when they feel they have to explain to me how some new technology works, which usually isn't at all relevant to the story and is above my understanding anyway. I suppose I read too much fantasy where you just roll with the accepted fact there is magic and I want this mentality in sci-fi too - don't explain to me how it works, I'll just take your word for it that it does what you say somehow.

That said, I feel my experiences with sci-fi short stories tend to all be the same and this one didn't feel any different. I can't help but get this vibe that its trying to tell me something deep and meaningful or somehow symbolic, but I honestly just don't get it at all. The set-up seems simple enough, things happen, and the end is strangely and mysteriously cryptic. I didn't really understand why he kept encountering the same girl through time, and I didn't understand where they were in the end - the end of time? the beginning? All I know is I'm once again thinking, "I think I there was some kind of metaphor here, but I have no idea what I was supposed to get." There really isn't anything else I think I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment