Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Johnny Mnemonic

I was going to read William Gibson's Neuromancer, but I didn't get very far and couldn't stand reading a whole book in that format (the formatting, it buuurns! I need page indents and proper formatting!)...So I read Johnny Mnemonic instead because even though it was in the same formatting, at least it was shorter and more tolerable. Except there were unfortunately numerous typos which were distracting and annoying. (this is exactly why I don't download books to read on the computer)

I didn't really care for the story that much as I didn't really get it.  I thought the main characters were really boring and dull. They didn't have very unique or interesting personalities at all - nothing that really made them interesting. The story moved along, but didn't have a feeling of having accomplished much. The cyborg dolphin was...interesting. And I gave I shall give props for creativity on that one.

But I did learn that apparently my definition of cyberpunk has been completely, horribly wrong for all these years. I don't know why, but for some reason I always associated "cyberpunk" with "badass female characters who are a cyborg/robot". Since that is apparently not a requirement to cyberpunk, I now haven't a clue how cyberpunk is different that regular sci-fi. Is it just because of cyborgs? Or other modifications? Is the Cassandra Kresnov trilogoy I read this year still cyberpunk like I thought it was? I don't know anymore...I'm so confused at what the definition is. It doesn't seem that different than the rest of sci-fi anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment